Built in 1836, Greek Revival Style. The town of Charleston is named after Charles Morton, who donated 20 acres of land for the purpose of setting up the town. The home is now active as a law office. * it will be opened limited hours, please check for times.
Built in the 1870’s. Owned by Mr. Paul Beals. The home sits to the North of Hodgen’s Pond and is highlighted by a large solarium. The home is surrounded by landscaped gardens and overlooks Hodgen’s Pond to the south. The home is beautifully furnished with period items, many antiques in the home are family heirlooms of Paul’s family.948 Sixth Street Connolly House
Built in 1863 is the second oldest structure still standing on 6th Street. Italianate Style. The bricks for the home were made at a kiln where EIU now stands, the clay coming from the college pond. Colonel James Connelly had the home built for his bride. Conn0lly served in the Civil War in the 123rd IL Vol Inf. He was a member of President Lincoln’s honor guard for his funeral. He was elected to the IL Legislature and later was appointed a US District Attorney in 1872 by President Grant. He also served in the US Congress. The home is being lovingly restored by Debra and Mike Sullivan.
The home was purchased by the Dr. Gerry Dudley family in 1920, and the home remained in their family until 1982 when it was donated to the Coles County Historical Society.
The home is Queen Anne style, with a wrap around porch and elaborate woodwork. The interior of the home is furnished with many of the Dudley family belongings, reflecting the 1920's. It is on the National Register of Historic Places.
* The tour is recommended for ages 14 and above
11:00am Troops arrival and Political Rally at the Coles County Fairgrounds Grandstands greeted by 33rd Illinois Volunteer Regiment Band,